This course is intended for police officers, peace officers, youth officers, D.A.R.E. officers, School Resource/Safety officers assigned to Youth Services-Juvenile Aid Bureaus or other law enforcement personnel responsible for investigations of crimes committed by or against juveniles.
This five day course is certified with the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services.
The curriculum includes:
* The role of the juvenile officer,
* Laws and procedures of juveniles in custody
* Laws relating to juveniles and applicable case law
* Functions of related governmental agencies
* Juvenile diversion programs
* Investigative techniques
* Interview and interrogation skills
* Interviewing the child victim/witness
* Child Abuse investigations
* Substance abuse
* Missing persons overview
* Signs of suicide
* Current trends in juvenile related crimes
A certificate will be issued by the Bureau of Municipal Police/Division of Criminal Justice Services for all participants that hold the status of police officer.