1971 Western Avenue, PMB 104
Albany, NY 12203
FAX (518) 456-0561
This course is intended for law enforcement officers, D.A.R.E. officers, School liaison officers, School Resource Officers, law enforcement supervisors, Educators, School Administrators and Deans.
This course was developed as a direct result of the success of the Basic School Resource Officer course. The skills that are developed in the basic class or the practical experience that officers or school personnel have obtained are further refined. Students will be given the opportunity to share the problems in their programs and work to find solutions with other attendees. There will also be an opportunity for the student to discover ways to improve both, their individual performance as well as their entire program by developing new resources. They will discuss other specialized programs and be able to adapt to better serve their students, schools and communities. Completion of the Basic School Resource Officers Course is not a prerequisite for this course.
Topics discussed in this course include:
* Problem and solution identification
* Interview and interrogation in the schools
* Gang identification and intervention
* School violence prevention
* Update on special education
* Trends in adolescent substance abuse
* Peer mediation/anger management
* Counseling and teaching skills refinement
* Search and seizure in schools
* Conduct and Professionalism for school based law enforcement officers
A certificate will be issued by the State of New York Police Juvenile Officers Association for all participants that hold the status of police or peace officer.